Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Prep for Conferences

My apologies on the late post.  It’s been a busy 2 weeks.  I’ll try my best to back-track, so here we go.
            Last week Monday-Friday was normal in terms of school during the day.  It was our last full week of school before spring break.  Monday afternoon I stayed at school until about 5:15 to work on reports with Robin and Najma.  We go through each sheet and rate each child on a scale of 1-5 to see where they are at in different areas.  This sheet is only part of the report that we give to parents during conferences. 
            Tuesday during school I was able to finish most of the front side of the report sheet. Robin and I spent both outdoors going through our 29 sheets.  Having to write these reports by hand is tedious and I don’t like it.  It would be so much easier if we were able to type them up.  All the reports are written in pencil and sent to the office.  Once they are approved they are then sent back to us to be written in pen.  It is so much writing.  I felt like I was back in college taking notes as my hand started to cramp up.  Anyways, I was happy to finish majority of the reports during the day.  That meant I was able to leave school at a normal time.  Tuesday night a group from church went to see the move “Risen” at the movie theater.  It was interesting to see another person’s portrayal of Jesus.  I however was pretty tired and once I got home I crashed.
            Wednesday we had piano and church and Thursday after school was our staff meeting.  I can’t understand how the teachers are able to teach on the other campus with the construction happening next door. For the first hour + of the meeting the cement mixer was going and I could hardly hear my coworkers talking.  By the time it ended I had a major headache and was ready for home, however of course we still had matters to finish in the meeting.
On Friday was the school swim meet.  Najma and I walked over the Aquatic Centre with our students and got them ready for the meet. My students that were there did the kickboard race.  I think they did better than I would have!  I was so proud of them.  They got in the water and raced in front of a bunch of people.  This is a first for most of them and they all did well.  After they finished the race, we had them change and headed back to school.  Friday night we went to the beach with Casey and Kerne to celebrate Kerne’s birthday.  It was a good time, however a late night.  Upon arrival at home, we met the neighbors for the first time.  I wasn’t quite sure what to think of them, but they seem nice at least. 
  On Saturday morning I woke up around 7:30 to an earthquake.  It was the first earthquake that we have had that I have actually felt.  My bed started moving back and forth for about 10 seconds and then it was done.  I was able to fall back asleep for another hour or so.  Saturday afternoon we went to the supermarket, KFC, and Felly Belly.  We finished the day off by hanging out with our new neighbors.  We got to see what the upstairs of our house looks like and I must admit, it is pretty nice.  The guys are actually really nice and I think we got all the issues out there.  I’m hoping from now on they will attempt to be a bit quieter.  All our neighbors are really nice though. One is from New York, one from Nigeria, and one from London.  I think we have made some new friends!
Sunday was Palm Sunday and started off with church.  It was a little weird because Abby wasn’t there.  She had a student’s birthday party to go to.  This is the first service that I have not had Abby with as my sidekick.  Anyways, Palm Sunday was fairly similar as it is in the states, the children walked in with Palm branches.  I will say though that the Palm branches were a lot bigger, as they got them from the Palm trees here.  A good variety of sizes.  Sunday afternoon Tanya and I headed to the beach where we saw Nigel, a bartender at the hotel.  Nigel was a bit surprised to see us seeing as the last time we told him that we were only visiting for a week, but hey 2 weeks later we still are in St. Lucia.  Whoops!  Anyways Nigel invited onto the hotel grounds where we chilled with a drink by the swim-up pool bar and chatted with his other coworkers.  Afterwards, Tanya and I headed to Spinnakers for some French fries (our supper) and then headed home where we showered and relaxed for the night.  
Our relaxing afternoon at the hotel

Yes she is wearing a winter coat...



No comments:

Post a Comment