Monday, November 23, 2015

Rough Beginning, Great Ending

This week started off a bit rough.  I finally came down with the cold that has been plaguing my classroom for the last few weeks.  I felt miserable with my coughing, sneezing, and congestion.  Throughout the day people were giving me advice like “go take a sea bath” or “go on a jog, you’ll sweat it out of your system,” however I did not feel like walking to the beach nor going for a jog.  Najma told me about some medicine she took that I could get at the grocery store, so Abby was kind enough to go with me to get Histal DC.  Let me tell you that is miracle medicine because I felt soooo much better the next day! 
Monday was the first day I had to open school, so on top of being sick, I had to get up extra early to get to school.  Upon arrival no one was there. Why? Well a little over a week ago a sink hole appeared in the middle of the road right down the road from us.  They have closed the road and are rebuilding the bridge, but in the meantime traffic is horrendous as people have to go the long way around. 
Tuesday I had my first parent meeting which went well and opened my eyes to how conferences will go in the near future.
Wednesday, Teacher Robin was out for the day with a relative, so Najma and I had the classroom.  While a bit of a change, the school day went really smoothly and overall was a good day.  After school was a teacher workshop on child observation.  I felt like I was back in Observation and Assessment class. 
Thursday was piano at church and again I am reminded of how blessed we are to help.  I’m extremely proud of my students for practicing outside of lessons and working just as hard in lessons.  After piano, I had guitar lessons which are also going well.  I can officially play a G, D, and C chord! 
Friday was an early release from school. After school however we had a staff meeting that lasted until 4.  I was impressed that it didn’t go longer.  Pastor picked us up for CIA at church and we ended the night playing Taboo in which the ladies won both times!  We were pretty excited about the victory, the guys not so much!
Saturday we had planned on going to the beach, however that plan was squashed with the rain.  On the bright side, it was the first day I’ve been able to sleep past 7:15 when I am normally awakened by the sun.  It felt great to sleep until 8:45!  Instead of going to the beach our big adventure was a wet trip to the grocery store. The walk was actually very refreshing! At the store we officially met our neighbor Samuel who has lived in many places, but just moved to St. Lucia about 3 months ago.  The highlight of the day was the guacamole we made.  It was the best guacamole yet because we finally have our proportions right along with the right ingredient (tomato, shado beni, avocado, garlic, salt and pepper). 

As I’m writing this and thinking about today I can’t help but smile.  It was a great day! I finally made it to the beach, it has been at least 3 weeks, and not just any beach but Anse Cochon. Pastor Tom and Jennifer asked if we’d like to join them on the trip down south and of course we couldn’t pass it up!  This is a black sand beach that has snorkeling.  While the snorkeling was not quite as good as the last time we came, I was still able to see many fish and a gorgeous rainbow that appeared as it rained.  If only I had my camera to capture it! As we were leaving we also saw an agouti.  I included a google image of what this is below.   Abby and I ended the day watching the Packer game at Keebees where Kerne, Rhett, and Pastor Bram joined us. It was a great evening complete with burgers, fries, a Piton, and a Packer win! J

The BEST guacamole yet! 

Anse Cochon






Image result for agouti
This is what an agouti looks like.
                                         
I love St. Lucia! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment