Sunday, November 1, 2015

Halloween week

     I cannot believe that October is over.  Interesting fact: most people in St. Lucia do not celebrate Halloween.  However don’t you all worry, I will get my chance to dress up at school’s Christmas party.  If I’m understanding correctly only the upperclass children really go trick-or-treating.  One of the local hotels has it, as well a few of the Bourgeois neighborhoods.  It was actually quite weird not seeing children in costumes or seeing the massive amounts of candy in the store.  It still does not feel like it is a November.  I don’t know how much more of this heat I can take! It is still extremely hot here and we are hoping that soon the cooler weather will come in.

            This week was a fairly normal week with the exception of Sticky Group.  Because President Crass from Luther Prep was the guest preacher this weekend, the normal group bible study was cancelled.  In its place though members from church got together and went to see the movie War Room in theaters.  While being a bit cheesy, it was overall good movie and it was fun to go with a group of people who we know well.  I still think one of the best parts about going to a movie is the air conditioning!

            During the day on Thursday, Abby and I headed to the bank at lunch to finish getting our accounts set up.  We were in and out in 15 minutes thanks to our banker who told us to just ask for her when we come in and skip the line.  For as much of a headache we were told the bank could be, Abby and I lucked out with our bank experience.  We came with all the proper paperwork and it was fairly painless.  Thursday night we enjoyed a nice relaxing evening watching the sunset at Spinnakers.  It was gorgeous! “The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands.” 
Monday's sunset from Pastor and Jennifer's house.

My favorite part about living here. Sunset at the beach! 


Happy hour at Spinnakers.

            On Friday, Abby and I had to go back to finish setting up our bank accounts.  We can officially say we have a bank account in St. Lucia which makes life a whole lot easier! Friday night Abby, Tanya, and I went out with Casey and Kerne from church to Keebees a restaurant where Rhett works.  We all enjoyed our time, although we still have yet to conquer how to dance like a Lucian.


            Saturday and Sunday were filled with relaxation, a few Skype calls, church, piano and pizza/movie night with Jennifer and Ian.  Following movie night Abby and I joined Pastor Bram and a few others from church to watch the first half of the Packer game.  Because of the time change the game did not start until 9:30 my time.  This made for a late night, but I am glad we joined them.  It was nice to finally watch a Packer game on a TV screen, not just my Skype call that Kelsey normally sets in front of a TV for me.  

           This week church piano lessons start and I must admit I am a bit nervous.  We’ll see how they go on Thursday! 

           One thing I really appreciated about church this week was the reminder of how important it is to memorize verses from the Bible.  When Jesus was tempted by the devil, he didn't go searching for the right verse, he simply quoted Scripture.  Knowing what the Bible says and being able to quote Scripture is so incredibly important when witnessing your faith to others.  Abby and I decided at church that we are going to start memorizing a verse a week.  This week's verse is from 2 Corinthians 4:16-17.  "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 

No comments:

Post a Comment