Sunday, October 18, 2015

Week of La Marguerite

This week was a whirlwind.  Monday and Tuesday were great days at school. Wednesday through Friday were a bit more rough.  I think everyone is ready for a break, both students and teachers included. 

            Friday was the day my students celebrated La Marguerite.  La Marguerite is a flower festival.  The colors worn during the celebration are blue, purple, lilac, violet, and white.  The students in pre-primary to grade 2 dressed up to look like kings, queens, princes, princesses, flower girls, lawyers, doctors, nurses, and policemen.  They marched around the grounds of school singing Creole songs, waving flowers and saying, “Vive La Marguerite!”  Included below is a clip of my children singing one of the 3 songs that they learned for the day.  I was truly amazed by how many parents showed up for the “parade.” Everyone wanted to capture their children dressed up and singing for the festival. 

            While I really enjoyed learning about La Marguerite and everything that goes along with it, I didn’t know what to expect which made me physically exhausted after the parade.  The children were hyped up on energy the rest of the day, which made it good that we planned for an easy Friday.  Friday also included two birthday celebrations.  For birthdays here we sing “Happy Birthday,” then “God’s blessings” and finish off with “May your Birthday be bright.” The student will blow out the candles and then we say as many“hip hip hoorays” for how old the child is.  Children are allowed to bring in cake, ice cream, and treats for their classmates, but the only thing that we actually let them eat at school is ice cream.  The cake gets cut up and sent home with the students at the end of the day, as do the rest of the treats. 

            Friday after school Abby, Tanya, and I headed to the bank where we waited for over 45 minutes to get our checks cashed.  On the bright side, at least we have money now to spend!  I was amazed by how many people were at the bank.  As we waited in the air conditioning, I was so worn out from the day that I almost fell asleep!  Thank goodness I didn’t.  I am very thankful for the nice lady who gave us an earlier number than ours and for my co-teachers who gave us the advice to all go up together to cash them, that way we weren’t waiting for each other. 

            After the bank Abby and I went to KFC for supper.  This is the first fast food that we have had on the island.  While I’m not a huge fan of KFC, it was a good change and I enjoyed my popcorn chicken and fries.  

           On a side note, have you ever sat down to eat dinner and your hot and while you eat you become even hotter and start sweating?  Well it happens.  Just about every time that I sit down to eat, I am completely covered in sweat by the end of the meal.  This is called a food sweat (or at least that is what we call them at our apartment).  People may not believe me but food sweats are real.  Tanya, Abby and I can attest to that!  Who knew eating was such hard work! 

           After eating KFC, Jennifer picked us up and brought us to CIA.  Before we got too far, we realized that we had a flat tire.  That would be the 2nd flat tire I have ever been in the car for, both of which have happened while here in St. Lucia.  At CIA we had some nice discussion and finished off with Taboo.  While most Friday nights I come exhausted, I really enjoy spending time with others around my same age.  

            This weekend has been fairly lazy, but I was able to watch a little bit of Kelsey’s volleyball game which I live-streamed.  Abby and I went Christmas shopping and well I ended up doing a little shopping for myself instead.  Whoops! 

            Today two new things happened.  First, I played piano during the offering at church.  This was big for me since I’ve never played for that many people before.  I am very thankful that Abby was willing to stand up front and turn my page for me, as well as tell me when offering was about over.  The second new thing for me was piano lessons.  I have never given piano lessons before, but today I started with Ian as my first piano student.  Ian is Pastor Tom and Jennifer’s, 13 year old son.  I really like spending time with him as he reminds me a little bit of the boys I nannied this summer.  Ian will not be my only student.  Abby and I have agreed to give some of the members at church piano lessons, in hope that one day they will be able to play in church.  We start in November, so we’ll see how that goes!  While I may not be the best piano player out there, I am glad I am able to use the gifts God has given me and share them with the people at Trinity.

      I’m looking forward to my 3 day week and am excited to see what all happens for Jounen Kweyol on Wednesday. I will be dressing in my new madras skirt made by Teacher Mindy and am happy that at least I'll have the proper outfit for the day! 
The doctors and nurse.
My students all dressed up. 

Go Blugolds! 
The gorgeous sunset tonight. The picture does not do it justice! 


La Marguerite 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to see some of Kels's game!
    Food sweats cracked me up.
    I am SO PROUD of you for playing for church and teaching piano lessons! YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all the other information of La Marguerite was super interesting!

    ReplyDelete